On July 10, 1973, the Islands of the Bahamas, became an independent state, while, too, staying, as part of the British Commonwealth. The nation started, with limited finances, and so on, and small infrastructure. But it also, fortunately, started with a focus, vision, goals, priorities, and marginally, visionary leadership. From the early 1980’s, when I was involved in operating and managing, a tourism industry, focused on the Bahamas, I had the joy of meeting, for the first time, this awesome individual. We had several conversations over the next, almost – two years, and I developed a much greater understanding of what our Founding Fathers, and those of most countries, must have, to a degree, underwent. There were certain decisions made from the start, which led the San Antonio Wildlife Removal, in the future.
1. Mission and vision of Creator: because there are limited natural resources, and the ability to compete, in terms of exporting goods, is restricted. This meant focusing on friendliness, service, and bringing tourists, to return, repeatedly. There were lots of challenges, but when one finds, the amount of amazing restaurants restaurants, shops, and so on, and also the short – life of the nation, is inspirational!
2. How mistakes/ challenges are managed: Things didn’t always go, as easily, as the government expected. From the mid – 1980’s, the Cable Beach Hotel, and then, Crystal Palace, were assembled, in addition to several other significant projects, but lots of these, were negatively affected, by the downturn in the world market. As opposed to give – up, or move, negatively, they confronted the challenges, admitted there were challenges and issues, but continued, in a concentrated way, towards a greater future. When the greatest project, ever intended, for the Caribbean area, was proposed, and began, about a decade ago, hopes were high, but the first developer faced economic difficulties, there were many legal battles, and so on, but the $4.5 billion, Baha Mar Resort opened, and afterwards, visiting last week, exceeded anyone’s expectations!
3. Encourage foreign investment: When the Bahamas, became a country, one of the principal objectives, was to guarantee qualified Bahamian employees, received the majority of the jobs, in any undertaking, etc.. That country recognized, the need to promote foreign investment and investors, however, to also, protect taxpayers. Important projects like the Atlantis, the Towne, the Baha Mar, along with many others, followed these principles. Many banks and nations, have a substantial economic presence on those Islands, such as: China; the United States; Canada; United Kingdom; etc..
4. Infrastructure needs: Roads are designed, and enhanced, constantly, throughout the country’s history! In a country, representing a variety of races, and nationalities/ ethnicities, there’s a relevantly low amount of racial biases, etc..
5. Overcome challenges: This nation has proceeded, and overcome many obstacles, since it proceeds, with an attitude and attention, o challenges, rather than problems!
If the Bahamas, in its brief history, can be, where it’s, and, though, still having to confront many future challenges, should not all people learn some courses? I’ve seen many changes in the almost 40 years, I’ve seen, and have to admit, I am motivated by the progress, so far!